Saturday, July 12, 2014

Book Review: The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu


     So the day after the signing, I dove into The Truth About Alice. At first, upon reading the description, I thought it was going to be a little too much for me in the way of sexual references. And then I heard Jennifer Mathieu talking about her book and thought that it sounded really interesting, so I picked it up anyway. Turns out there was a plethora of sex-related recurrences in the book, but the message behind the words was what kept me reading.
     Alice Franklin has the good life. She's fairly popular, she has a great best-friend, and everyone loves her. But that was before Elaine O'Dea's party. The party where Alice allegedly slept with not one, but two guys in the same night. And then Brandon Fitsimmons, one of the boys she supposedly slept with, dies in a car crash, and the blame is all put on Alice. Rumors go around, and soon enough, Alice has gone from the girl everyone knows, to the school slut. Alice. Is. All. Alone.
     The readers get to experience what life was like for the main people involved in Alice's social destruction, including Brandon's best friend, Elaine O'Dea, ALice's best friend, and the boy who lived next door to Brandon before he died. Each character gives up the information they know, and piece by piece, readers finally know The Truth About Alice.
     I would give this book a 3.5/5 stars. I loved the tone and underlying theme, but the amount of sexual relations was just a bit much for me, personally. Alice has the same vibe as Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, for me. It's all about how one little rumor can completely destroy someone's life, and how people just sit by and let it happen instead of trying to find out the facts before they make their judgements. If you decide to read this book, I hope that your way of thinking about people and the rumors that surround them will change. See what he real story is. Be a friend when no one else will. Sometimes that's all they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment