Monday, November 3, 2014

Seize the Tuesday #2: Balancing Reading and Writing


      Seize the Tuesday is a book blogger meme created by myself and the Let's Get Lost Buddies Street Team to share stories about how we've seized the Tuesday, with a special focus on the particular book we're reading. We'll share our posts online with the hashtag: #LetsAllGetLost.

  The idea is to share little ways in which you may have embraced Bree's motto of Seizing the Tuesday. To relate it to books, you can talk about what book you're reading, and how you stole some moments from the day to enjoy reading. It doesn't have to be about reading, but we all know that a well-read day is a day seized. The idea is not just to spread the word on LGL, but also to remind people to live fully, even/especially if that means spending a part of your day reading.

      If you (Like me) love to write as much as you like to read, then you know that finding the time for both interests can be a bit of a task. When I have the spare time, I'm never sure whether to grab a book, or my laptop. It's always an internal struggle, and there just never seems to be enough time to do both. 

Personally, I can't write if I'm in the middle of a book. My mind stays with the characters I've been reading about, and I'll stare at a blank page for hours and maybe only type a single sentence. So if I want to write, I have to finish my current read, and then stop reading until I've written what I want to write. The thing about writing a novel is that it's a long-ish process, so not reading for months as I write... that just doesn't always work out, so I'll read a book, write, read another book, and go in spurts.

When I get to the point where I don't know whether I should read or write, it comes down to inspiration. If something's lit that fire, and I have something to roll with, then I'll write-- but if it's a dull day and the creative juices aren't flowing, then I'll pick up a book.

At the moment, I've taken a break from writing my second novel to write this post. When I finish here, I'll get back to my WiP until Wednesday, when I can pick up my copy of BEWARE THE WILD by Natalie Parker (She's going to be on a panel of five YA authors at my local indie store this month. Anyone going? Let me know!). So it's really a tennis game for me. I go back and forth. The ball is currently in Writing's court, but I'm sure that'll change when I have Natalie's book in my hands.

So when you want to read, but you also want to write at the same time, figure out if you've got the writing spark that day. If not, don't force it-- just sit back with a cup of hot chocolate and a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment