Monday, February 16, 2015

Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


     Red Queen was one of the most highly anticipated releases of 2015. I tried and tried to get an ARC, but that didn't happen, so I went to my local indie store on the book's birthday and snatched up a copy. I had extremely high expectations for this one... and it did not let me down.
     I've literally just finished it, and considering I have a list of thoughts and questions running through my head right now, I'm going to use the description from Goodreads. I do not trust my own words in this moment.

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

    Red Queen is the best book I've read this year... the best book I've read in a while... and it absolutely lives up to the hype. The characters are real, the plot is thick and suspenseful, and I counted three plot twists that took me by total surprise. I give Red Queen a glowing five stars, and I recommend it to anyone who likes dystopia and rebellion. Standing ovation for Victoria Aveyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment