Thursday, November 26, 2015

HOLIDAY HAPPINESS: Book Review: Awake by Natasha Preston


Title: Awake
Author: Natasha Preston
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Format Read: Paperback

Description from Goodreads: Scarlett Garner doesn't remember anything from before the age of four-- but a car accident changes everything. She starts to remember pieces of a past that frighten her. A past her parents hid from her... and a secret that could get her killed.

The Goodreads description for this one keeps it short and sweet. Let me see if i can tell you a bit more about AWAKE without giving it away...

Scarlett has a gap in her memory. She remembers nothing before the age of four, and that's how it's always been. And then one day, a new student arrives in her class, a student that is instantly attracted to her-- and the attraction is mutual. As Scarlett grows closer to this boy, he encourages her to try to remember what she's lost, but then a car accident is the trigger she needs to jumpstart her memory, and what she finds in those memories aren't the pieces of the childhood she had been looking for, but something much more sinister.

Okay so I didn't do that much better, but I'm going to go ahead and move on.

I picked up AWAKE, expecting a decent creepy story, and what I got instead was a thrill ride that I won't be forgetting for quite sometime.

This story is so intricately woven that I don't want to say much about WHY I loved it, because I'm worried that I'll unintentionally spoil it, and with this book, it would be a terrible thing to do. But I did absolutely love this story and will go ahead and say that, as far as thrillers go, this is hands down my favorite. Hands. Down.

It was creepy, it kept my attention from cover to cover, the characters were near-perfect... I read the book in about five hours, which is something I can do pretty easily when something really has my intrigue and attention, so that should say something! 

Five stars. Absolutely. Five stars to this beautiful thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Any fans of psychological thrillers, or stories that border on creep-tastic horror, will sure to be AWAKE when reading this new one from Natasha Preston.

Now, let's see if I can get my hands on THE CELLAR.

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment