Tuesday, November 17, 2015

HOLIDAY HAPPINESS: Book Review: Lock and Mori by Heather W. Petty


Title: Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori #1)
Author: Heather W. Petty
Publisher: Simon & Schueter Books For Young Readers
Release Date: September 15, 2015
Format Read: Hardback (FC)

Description from Goodreads: In modern-day London, two brilliant high school students-- one Sherlock Holmes and a Miss James "Mori" Moriarty-- meet. a murder will bring them together. The truth very well may drive them apart.

Before they were mortal enemies, they were much more...

FACT: SOmeone has been murdered in London's Regent Park. The police have no leads.

FACT: Miss James "Mori" Moriarty and Sherlock "Lock" Holmes should be hitting the books on a school night. Instead, they are out crashing a crime scene.

FACT: Lock has challenged Mori to solve the case before he does. Challenge accepted.

FACT: Despite agreeing to Lock's one rule-- they most share every clue with each other-- Mori is keeping secrets.

OBSERVATION: Sometimes you can't trust the people closest to you in matters of the heart. And after this case, Mori may never trust Lock again.



Let me just say that I have been mega stoked for LOCK & MORI, and read my copy as soon as I got it. Let me also say that
it
was
worth
the
wait.

I literally have nothing negative to say about this one. Not a single thing. Well... okay, there was one thing, but I can't very well tell you what it was, because it's a spoilery type thing. But anyway, as much as I loved this book, it pained me. Because I know-- I knoooow-- how Sherlock and Moriarty turn out. If you know anything about the two, you know they are nemeses. And.. I ship it just a little too much for that ending. MOCK IS REAL, AND MOCK IS HERE TO STAY. 

Those things aside, I loved the case that they worked on, and while I did guess the culprit, I didn't have a clue about most of the things that went down before the reveal. Petty kept me guessing until the very last page, and I loved every minute of this read. The characters were so well-rounded, the plot and setting so real, so well-thought-out, and the crime was fantastic to follow.

LOCK & MORI was a 4.5 star read for me, and I am eagerly awaiting book two. I am not-so-eagerly awaiting the inevitable ending. I am sure to be going down with this ship. 

Unless the wonderful fantastic Heather Petty wants to make this retelling... not so heart breaking?

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment