Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Book Review: Return to the Dark House by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Title: Return to the Dark House (Dark House #2)
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: July 21, 2015
Format Read: Hardback

Description from Goodreads: Ivy Jensen survived the Dark House once, but can she make it out a second time?

Two months have passed since Ivy Narrowly escaped the Nightmare Elf's grip, but the memories of Parker, Natalie, Shayla, Frankie, and Garth continue to haunt her. Their killer is still out there-- somewhere. The police trail has gone cold, though, and it's up to Ivy to piece together the clues to find him.

When a cryptic video arrives in her inbox, Ivy soon finds herself back on the spotlight, this time on a twisted scavenger hunt through the dark, ancient halls of a long-forgotten Gothic school building Ivy's not alone, either. Taylor Monroe has returned to the scene. But can Taylor be trusted? Or is she another pawn in the Nightmare Elf's deadly game?

Laurie Faria Stolarz crafts a mesmerizing thriller that will leave readers looking over their shoulders.

After reading and loving WELCOME TO THE DARK HOUSE, I went and picked up book two immediately. Like the first one, I devoured it within a day, and it left me wanting book three like crazy.

Book one was a bit creepy, but RETURN TO THE DARK HOUSE was... well, I've got goosebumps just thinking about it. The horror and creepiness mixed together into a perfect cocktail, and while I still have suspicions about certain things, I think I'm starting to form a theory. About who's behind everything. Who the Nightmare Elf really is. 

These are not perfect books by no means. Like every novel, it has it's flaws. But the storyline is so enticing, it lures you right in and before you know it, you're at the last page. And there are plot holes that leave you confused at points, but for me the story arc outweighs the negatives, because this thriller really does leave you breathless. I had to put it down multiple times just to get up and take a breath, get my mind off of it.

If you like horror and all things creepy, then you'll love RETURN TO THE DARK HOUSE, which I think was considerably more heebie-jeebie earning. Five black stars... And Book three, I'm waiting on you.

Happily,
Stephanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment