Thursday, January 28, 2016

Thursday Thinks: Anticipation for The 5th Wave Movie


As a YA fan, going to the movies the past two years has been an interesting experience. All of these books are getting adapted into movies, books that we've either loved or hated, and the world of non-readers are joining our fandoms simply because they liked the movie.

The positive side about these adaptations is that, 1.) Watching the movies (sometimes tv shows) has caused more people to pick up the books. Sometimes, the movie release is what brings a beloved book up to best-seller status, and we do love to see our authors succeed. and 2.) Sometimes, the adaptations are AH-MAZING.

This being said, THE 5TH WAVE has just been turned into a movie. Releasing on the 22nd of January, it's been out only six days, and I'm happy to say that I'll be seeing it tonight.

So yes, I'm excited.

But I'm also nervous.

Oftentimes, YA/MG adaptations have been sketchy. There have been a good grouping of them that turned out beautifully, but then there are the bad ones, which tend to stick out more than the good ones. And with THE 5TH WAVE being the story that it is... it would be very, extremely easy to screw up the movie with too much of a creative license.

What I thought I'd do today is show the correlation between the adaptations that I, myself, have seen, and my opinions of the books. To make things easier, I'll use only three words-- LOVE, HATE, and EH. Self explanatory, right?



The Hunger Games
Books: LOVE
Movies: LOVE
What fan didn't love them?

Harry Potter
Books: LOVE
Movies: LOVE
Do I even need to say anything?

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
Books: LOVE
Movie: HATE
The ending was too much of a betrayal for me. Things we had to wait two to three books to find out, Clary and Jace discovered in the firs movie.

Beautiful Creatures
Books: LOVE
Movie: LOVE
Though it condensed a multi-book plot into one, and left out many key points, I still really enjoyed the Beautiful Creatures movie.

Twilight
Books: LOVE
Movies: LOVE
Don't hate on my faves

The Fault In Our Stars
Book: LOVE
Movie: LOVE
As one of my favorite books, the adaptation and how closely it stuck to the book really warmed my heart.

Percy Jackson
Books: LOVE
Movies: HATE
Oh, come on. 16 vs 12. Same plot, but different ways about getting there. Way too much of a stray, and they aged it up in all the wrong ways.

The Maze Runner
Books: LOVE
Movies: LOVE
Though they didn't stay exactly stay on the dot, I loved every second of it.

Nancy Drew
Books: EH
Movie: EH
Just wasn't a fan of this series, I guess?

Divergent 
Books: LOVE
Movies: HATE
Don't. Get. Me. Started. I loved the Divergent adaptation, but Insurgent just... ruined it.

The Giver
Books: LOVE
Movie: EH
The movie wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Beastly
Book: LOVE
Movie: HATE
So corny that I couldn't possibly love the movie as much as I did the book

Shadowhunters
Books: LOVE
TV Show: EH
The script is cheesy, and the acting is... yikes... but the plot is loveable.

And that brings us to THE 5TH WAVE.

Book: LOVE
Movie: ?

I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but I hope that they stay as true to the book as possible. What I'm most curious about is seeing how they execute the character of Evan Walker. He and Sammy being my favorites other than Cassie, I'm highly intrigued. Knowing how thick of a character Evan is, I'm way ready to see what they do with him. 

And then there's the plot, which is mega wow and scare and *screams*.

So yes, I'm seeing it tonight.

And yes, I'll let you know what I think.

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment