Thursday, March 17, 2016

Thursday Thinks: Green With Envy


Happy St. Patrick's Day, readers! Today is officially the day to celebrate your Irish roots (I've got them, too!), eat and drink green colored things, and search for a pot of gold. Don't forget to wear something green and save yourself from a day of pinches. My favorite thing to do is wear something small, maybe an earring or a pin, so that it's hard for people to find your green. And if they pinch you before they see it, you can serve them with a revenge pinch *waggles eyebrows*

Since today is all about the color green, I wanted to do a post about books I'm green with envy over. In other words, books or series that I (as an aspiring author) wish I would have written. Ones that I've gotten so much enjoyment out of, or have fallen so deep in love with, that they make me want to be a better writer. This post is reserved for those special few that really move me. There are seven of them, and here they are-- in no particular order.



VIOLENT ENDS, an anthology edited by Shaun David Hutchinson. 

This is a novel told from seventeen points of view, all revolving around a fatal school shooting. These stories are not about the shooting in itself, but they are all pieces to one big puzzle-- How Kirby Matheson was able to go from a normal high schooler, to a boy with so much hate inside of him that he felt the need to take six lives, including his own. Not only does the story explore the events leading up to the shooting, but it explores the days after, and each story gives you a little bit more information than what you previously had. By the time you get to the last page, you understand what drove Kirby Matheson to such great lengths, and you come away from it with a new outlook on the world; how every event is somehow connected to another one, and how small things can add up to something bigger in the blink of an eye.





THIRTEEN REASONS WHY by Jay Asher

This novel is told largely in the form of voice recordings from Hannah Baker, a girl from Clay's class who recently committed suicide. It's a telling of how Clay listens to Hannah's story, and comes to see things through her eyes. Sees why she made the decision to end her time on this world, and how he, along with twelve other kids, had a hand in bringing her to the idea. Not only do you see how you affect other people, but you learn how other people can affect you. You find yourself witnessing things that, sadly, are part of every-day high school life, and realizing that you can do something about it. THIRTEEN REASONS leaves you seeing the way people are treated, and it makes you want to do something about it. It inspires you to make a difference in the world, one smile and friendly word at a time.





THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak

Set during WWII, THE BOOK THIEF is the story of a girl named Liesel, a child living under Hitler's reign. It is about her journey through life, learning to read and adore books, making friends, and staying alive whilst living amongst a family of Jewish sympathizers. This book shows the trials and tribulations of being a child during the Holocaust, as well as the extra complications brought about when one does the right thing-- no matter what the cost. BOOK THIEF is a very deep, very dark novel, and it's something that many people cannot handle, but for me it remains one of my favorite reads, because of the raw truth and honesty found along the pages. As historical fiction, especially in the YA category, this is one that goes above and beyond in serving it's purpose of helping you to truly understand what the Holocaust was like from a child's point of view.




THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

I honestly feel like this one needs no explanation. If you haven't read it, please... PLEASE do. If you have, you can cry along with me, because you know why this one made the list.






SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater

This is the story of a girl who was, as a child, mauled by wolves. She's grown up watching them run in the woods behind her house, but she always favor the one with the yellow eyes-- the one that saved her from the other wolves when she was just a kid. It's there, watching her as she watches it, and she becomes fascinated with him and his pack. And then one day, a boy shows up on her front porch. He has the wolf's eyes, and Grace immediately knows that somehow, this boy is the wolf who saved her so long ago. But the fight to keep him human is a tough one, and Grace doesn't know if she'll succeed. I can tell you that this trilogy (now quartet *cheers*) is my absolute favorite trilogy. It's a beautifully written paranormal romance, and is the series that really gave me that push to start seriously pursuing writing.





CITY OF BONES (Book one in the Mortal Instruments series) by Cassandra Clare

If you know me, then you probably expected this one to be on the list. Cassie needs no introduction, she's the absolute Queen of Fantasy, and I hold her on the top of my Authors I'd Like to Be As Successful As shelf. Her writing... well. It's my favorite. She crafts her worlds seamlessly, executes her stories with zero plot holes, and creates these characters that I never want to let go of. Reading any of her books is like writing fuel for me, and I aspire to one day have a series comparable to Cassandra Clare's. She is literally author goals, and there's nothing more to it, since you probably know all about her books if you've known me for more than .247 seconds.

See my review of her newest book, a series-started called LADY MIDNIGHT, here



These are the books that I am the most green about. I love them all to pieces, and am extremely grateful to the authors for pouring their hearts and souls into these stories. These are the ones that push me forward. These are the ones, who ignite my passion for writing. And these are the ones that mean more to me than words are able to describe.

Happily,
Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment